Tomato Soup with Carrots
Your Home & Lifestyle Magazine
- 5 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 cups grated carrot, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup small diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 quart (32 ounces) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 (29-ounce) can San Marzano–style tomatoes
- Salt to your tastes
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
Preheat 3 tablespoons oil in a saucepot over moderate heat, then add the grated carrot. Cook until golden brown. Remove from pot and set aside to be reintroduced later.
Pour remaining 2 tablespoons oil into pot and return it to moderate heat. Add the onion and sweat until translucent. Add the sugar, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook until darkened slightly, then deglaze the pan with chicken stock. Using a blender, puree the canned tomatoes and add them to the pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt as needed
Reintroduce the carrots or use them as a garnish along with fresh chopped basil to add texture and richness to the soup.